What is Chlorhexidine?
Chlorhexidine gluconate is the a special type of mouthwash that can be prescribed by a dentist for the purpose of reducing bacteria in the mouth. This is important for treating gingivitis as it helps with the swelling and bleeding of the gums, as well as some of the other symptoms that are associated with that disease.
What are the risks of using this product?
If you’re going to use mouthwash with chlorhexidine gluconate it is quite possible that it’s because your medical provider feels that it is the best option for your condition. However, it is important for you to be aware of the possible side-effects of this product because it has caused some adverse reactions in some patients in the past. Therefore, before you decide to use this mouthwash make sure that you understand that it is a prescription-strength product, and should not be taken lightly.
Some of the allergic reactions experienced in patients include hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling the face, mouth, or throat. In more severe cases it has been reported that patients have experienced chemical burns as a result of taking this product.
You may be shocked to know it, but in fact, there have been fatal reactions to chlorhexidine. The FDA published a warning in February of 2017 about the serious allergic reactions that have been reported as a result of the use of this product in skin antiseptics.
Still, as noted, this is a very widely used product, and the instances of allergic reactions have been extremely rare. The best way to ensure your safety is to speak to your medical professional before beginning the use of any products with chlorhexidine. If you have any further questions about this product, or about any other dental concern that you have please feel free to contact our dental office in Colorado Springs. We are always happy to assist new patients.